WHAT IS EDUCATION
- Education is a passage to progress. It’s additionally the way to our fate and achievement that can only be accomplished, when individuals have information, knowledge and frame of mind.
- Education is a process of teaching , training & learning especially in schools or colleges,to improve knowledge & develop skills. ( oxford advanced)
Education is a social institution through which society provides its members knowledge, including basic facts, job skills cultural norms values.
- Education is the process of facilitating learning or acquisition of knowledge skills, value and habits. Education methods include teaching, training, discussion, storytelling and many others.
- ‘If someone is going down the wrong road, he does not need motivation to speed him up, what he needs is Education to turn him around” Jim Rohn
HISTORY OF EDUCATION
In 3500 BC, various writing systems,developed in ancient civilizations, around the world.Education was fully developed in Egypt as early as 3400 BC. China according to legendary, the rulers established the first school. The middle ages between (500_1500), the monasteries of domain Catholic, were the center of education and literacy. After 15 century most schools were founded upon religious principles. In 19th century most of west, central and parts of east Europe began to provide elementary education in reading, writing and arithmetic.
IMPORTANCE OF EDUCATION
IMPORTANCE OF EDUCATION
- Creates opportunities
An educated person has more job opportunities.
- Provides financial security There is a proven correlation between education & income. An educated person with good income is able to fund life style that he/she may desire.
Education empowers an individual to make own choices in life and improve the life style.
- Achieve my dreams and aspirations
Every student has dreams & aspirations. Education is needed to excel these dreams.
5 Respect in the society
The society gives respect to educated people. They believe educated personnel have ability to change their life style & that of the society positively. Education help gain a reputation in the society.
Educated persons feels confident to express opinion, & speak their mind. They believe they have authority to influence the society, especially when dealing with leadership or position in the society.
- Economic growth at national level
Research shows countries with high literacy rates and where education is equitably distributed like Finland, has less corruption,& low poverty level. These countries are more competitive in research, & innovation,they have better technological reforms that influence the growth & development of the nation.
- Safer world.
Education teaches values, empathy, social responsibility, interpersonal skills, builds character, morals, fosters critical thinking. Members of a society that have these qualities, may not engage in criminal activities, hence a safe environment.
“If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge, always pays the best interest ” Ben Franklin
‘The whole purpose of Education is to turn mirrors into windows.” Sidney Hams.
TYPES OF EDUCATION
There are 3 types of education.
- Formal education
- Non formal education
- Informal education
Formal education is knowledge delivered to students by trained teachers in a classroom. The system has a syllabus & a time frame. The syllabus is defined by a board of education. The knowledge is given to students in primary & secondary schools, colleges, & institutions of higher learning.
ADVANTAGES OF FORMAL EDUCATION
- It has an organized educational model and up to date course content.
- Students acquire knowledge from trained and professional teachers.
- Structured and systematic learning process which has been well researched, has continuous development and use of technology.
- Intermediate and final exams assess students performance, in preparation for the next class.
- Leads to a formally recognized certificate and degree that helps access to jobs.
DISADVANTAGE OF FORMAL EDUCATION
- The classes may be over crowded, & teaching becomes difficult.
- Students with low grades are times promoted to next class.
- Students may be required to pay fees that students from poor families cannot afford to pay.
- Final exams define the future of the student, who may have been sick during exams..
NON FORMAL EDUCATION
Non formal education is adult basic education. Unlike formal education, its, practical and vocational education. Home schooling, individual instructions (e.g. programmed learning) distance learning and computer instruction are other possibilities.
ADVANTAGES OF NON FORMAL EDUCATION
- The education system embraces practical learning (students enjoy the learning)
- It is vocational training. Students/participants can have other occupation and attend classes when they want.
- The students can attend classes to advance their skills.
- It is flexible in age curriculum and time.
- It is open ended educational system, whereby staff from public and private sectors can attend & exchange ideas.
- Performance of the learner may not be assessed.
DISADVANTAGE OF NON FORMAL EDUCATION
- Attendance by participants may be irregular.
- No degrees/ diploma/ certificate are awarded at the end of training session.
- Sometimes teachers are neither professional nor trained.
- Some institutions may give fake certificates through online courses.
- Participants may not have basic reading and writing skills.
Informal education is not imparted by institutions such as schools, colleges. The student gets educated from personal experiences, media, newspapers, TV, movies, friends, parents/guardians e.g. a parent teaching her child how to ride a bicycle, a mother teaching a child how to walk, grand parents telling folk tales that teach morals. It is independent of room boundary walls i.e. can learn outside a room.
Students learn about culture, moral values, religion, drama, music, folk tales etc. This is mainly to generate a great generation.
ADVANTAGES OF INFORMAL EDUCATION
- Gives skills & training, that equip them with ability to face life challenges and take up opportunities available to them, & knowledge to solve problems in their lives.
- Learning at times does not need a professional or trained teacher.
- Informal Education, has no time limit, does not have a syllabus nor examinations.
- Moral teachings mould a great generation.
DISADVANTAGES OF INFORMAL EDUCATION
- Information acquired from internet, TV ,social media radios or conversation may be misleading and wrong.
- Utilized techniques may not be appropriate.
- Absence of discipline, attitude and good behavior of the participants.
- Has neither schedule nor time span; learners may acquire the knowledge after a long period of time.
BMS enables every child reach their full potential both in academics, spiritual & socially. Mounding a holistic young adults, ready to face life’s opportunities & challenges